Thursday, August 25, 2005

This England ...

From Salford, where teachers who stand up to harassment are sacked by the council ...

Last week the block of flats next to his, on Newcombe Drive, Little Hulton was set on fire. Paul says the fire was an arson attack, and the 16th in the two years he has lived on the estate.

Paul, who has severe spinal disabilities, said: “I was watching TV when I saw a flickering light through my curtains. The next thing I knew the fire engines arrived and they were putting this huge blaze out.”

He is the last resident living in the area and is surrounded by boarded up houses targeted by arsonists.

He said: “I am disabled. I go to bed at night, and I cannot sleep. I am terrified they will attack my house next and if they do, I cannot run. I will die.”

“It really is like Beirut. I know the firemen do all they can. They come here and put the flames out, and then they are back again to put them out all over again. But it just carries on, and I really fear for my life here.”

Paul says he barely goes out anymore for fear of the kids who group up around the estate - the only sign of life in the area.

From Oldham, where mosques are protected but pubs aren't.

94 year old Edna Lamont had lived at her home on Farm Street, Failsworth, for 68 years and always felt safe.

But that changed on October 11 last year when she first fell victim to a bogus official – a man tricked his way into the house and took her purse.

The pensioner was left so frightened she took to sleeping with her handbag under her pillow.

Just five days later, on Saturday, October 16, she was awoken by a banging noise and then, to her horror, realised her handbag had gone from under her pillow. She went downstairs and noticed a window at the rear of the house had been forced.

She went to a neighbour’s for help and they went back to the house with her. The telephone socket was not connected so one of the neighbour’s telephoned the police on her own mobile.

Officers arrived and Mrs Lamont began to tell them what had happened. She went upstairs to show them where she kept the handbag.

Sgt Angela Robinson, who was present, described how Mrs Lamont, as she was talking to them, “laid on the bed and her eyes began to flutter and she became breathless”. The officers attempted to revive her and an ambulance was called – she was taken to North Manchester General, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

No comments: