Friday, February 17, 2006

Good Music - and Strange Music

Driving home tonight, listening to the soul music on Radio Wales, heard a beautiful piece of singing but didn't catch a name. Once it might have been lost to me forever - now you can get home and find the streamed show. It was India Arie's 'Brown Skin' from her 2001 'Accoustic Soul' CD. That girl can sing - and I love the sparse bass & drums.

So I thought I'd take a look round the BBCs streamed output and found this remarkable Radio Leeds show, playing rare stuff from the 50s to the 70s. My period - I thought I'd know half of what was on. More like 5% - and that's only because James Addyman obviously likes the Small Faces and Toots and the Maytals. Just look at a typical playlist - obscure or what ?

I recommend "Do The Boogaloo" by Pete Terrace - about 42 minutes in. More on Mr Terrace here - and here.

No comments: