Monday, February 26, 2007

Lefty Luvvie Royalist Shock

When I saw the 800-odd hits for 'Helen Mirren' this morning I thought that Ilyena Vasilievna Mironov had probably won her Oscar.

"For 50 years and more, Elizabeth Windsor has maintained her dignity, her sense of duty - and her hairstyle," Dame Helen said.

"She has had her feet planted firmly on the ground, her hat on her head and her handbag on her arm. She has weathered many, many storms. And I salute her courage and her consistency and I thank her because if it wasn't for her I most certainly would not be here."

She ended her speech by holding up the Oscar statuette and saying: "Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Queen."


UPDATE - 2,500 hits makes it another Mirrstalanche. And the Dumb One ponders the Oscars.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought she looked Eastern European.

Anonymous said...

You can say what you like about Dame Helen but I wouldn't mind nudging her around the Axminster, she can look drop dead gorgeous as in The Long Good Friday or as rough as arseholes in Prime Suspect.
I'll take either one.

Anonymous said...

What "courage" - riding a skittish horse?

And as for "sense of duty", the woman sat on her hands while the nation was sold out wholesale to foreign powers!

Anonymous said...

British Film's oeuvre would be far poorer were it not for Eastern Europeans. Hungarians in the main.

Anonymous said...

I bet Blair ws cheesed off he didn't get an Oscar for reprising his role in The Prime Minister the movie from Twentieth Century Fox

Anonymous said...

Blognor Regis - I have nothing against eastern Europeans! I just always thought that she looked eastern European. That's all.

Anonymous 7:51 - Agreed. She drove an army car during WWII. That seems to be about it. She let Ted Heath and Tony Blair give away the United Kingdom.

If Blair does decide to give the UK the coup de grace, will she stop by by dismissing the government? Will she dissolve Parliament and hold emergency meetings? Or will she sign it?

Anonymous said...

Verity, that would be her Constitutional duty, but on past performance, don't hold your breath!

She will sign ANYTHING to avoid being the last of the British monarchs. In that respect, she and B'liar are alike: both are more concerned with their 'legacy' than the well being of the nation they pretend to serve.