Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Fine Romance ...

The local candidate standing for election for a party I find altogether despicable, is handsome -in a tall, dark kind of way; a Mr Rochester if ever I saw one.

Curiously I find him all the more attractive because his views on life and liberty would never correspond with mine.

Just before seven pm I was cooking chicken pie and making some Cornish pasties. There was a knock at the door.


This could have been the opening to one of the great love stories - or alternatively one of the great erotic fantasies.

Tragically, our dashing hero doesn't play up to the script.

He seemed at a loss, and remarked upon the number of shoes we have in our hall.

Maybe real life can never be like that. No vote here, time is short, many doors to knock on.

But I really wanted him to ask me why I wasn't going to vote for him.

I wanted him to fix me to the spot with a gimlet stare and demand an answer.

And perhaps one or two other things. It's an interesting thought - a candidate responding to an opposition voter with a passionate appeal as a starter for ten. No wife or daughter safe. Would certainly enliven the campaign, one way or the other.

I guess a candidate in a hopeless seat might take a punt. But it would have been a grand, romantic , quixotic and politically highly dangerous gamble in what should be a reasonably safe Tory seat. As the ancient joke puts it, chiselled candidate James Morris didn't realise how close he was to getting in well before polling day.

6 comments:

TDK said...

Bit of an egotist our girl.

If a typical seat has about 30,000 voters and there is a 4 week election campaign, a candidate has about 1 minute 20 seconds per voter. There is no time to persuade individuals and in fact candidates will deliberately avoid getting into one on one debates precisely because they know that their opponents supporters will attempt that precisely to waste time.

However, our egotist is insulted that he doesn't spend time on her.

But what I really liked was the fact that she, a person who is free of prejudice, a person who refuses to judge people, is able to seriously entertain (on no evidence) the possibility that she was dismissed as a stereotype.

Pray will someone explain to me: what is

As I had a NHS education, I know that they don't.

Xerpa said...

An NHS education proves without a shadow of a doubt Shakespeare's words: "If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die?"

Ideology is only a virtual overlay, warping reality.

The pity was, if the Conservative guy had asked me why he was not getting my vote, he could have changed my mind.

Anonymous said...

The pity was, if the Conservative guy had asked me why he was not getting my vote, he could have changed my mind.

Apparently it's a safe seat, so it wouldn't matter how you vote. In any case, when was the last time a UK parliamentary election was decided by a single vote? Probably back in the days of the Rotten Boroughs.

Anonymous said...

what I really liked was the fact that she, a person who is free of prejudice, a person who refuses to judge people

Ive been looking at various Facebook groups recently. There is a whole subculture of people on there who advocate banning political parties, killings, beatings, prosecution for voicing opinions etc.


I forgot to mention, these are the tolerent, liberal, non-prejudiced folk who oppose the BNP.

Anonymous said...

You are all being very logical and I thought it was about a smoulderiung glance and a beating heart.
How England has changed.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I meant 'smoldering'
Sigh!