Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bear With Me ....

As previously noted, I'm rather fond of this song, to the extent that I once stood on a bar table ('twas late in the evening) and sang it to a bemused/sympathetic audience of expats who "had drink taken".


The late Hank Thompson. Played his last concert aged 82, less than a month before his death.

The flip, Hank's brilliant 'The Wild Side of Life' isn't available in a studio version on Youtube, but Kitty Wells' 1951 riposte to that sorry tale of female frailty, "It wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" is.

As I sit here tonight the jukebox playing
The tune about the wild side of life
As I listen to the words you are saying
It brings memories when I was a trustful wife.

It wasn't God who made honky tonk angels
As you wrote in the words of the song
Too many times married men think they're still single
That has caused many a good girl to go wrong.

It's a shame that all the blame is on us women
It's not true that only you men feel the same
From the start most every heart that's ever broken
Was because there always was a man to blame.




Well, if you're still here you may as well hear a master at work. It's a fairly recent live recording, the voice, while still impressive, isn't quite what it was, but the presence ... Merle Haggard's "I'm A Lonesome Fugitive".

I'd like to settle down but they won't let me
A fugitive must be a rolling stone
Down every road there's always one more city
I'm on the run, the highway is my home


No comments: