Although domestic violence is chronically under reported, research estimates that it:
- accounts for 16% of all violent crime (Source: Crime in England and Wales 04/05 report)
- has more repeat victims than any other crime (on average there will have been 35 assaults before a victim calls the police)
- costs in excess of £23bn a year
- claims the lives of two women each week and 30 men per year
- is the largest cause of morbidity worldwide in women aged 19-44, greater than war, cancer or motor vehicle accidents
- will affect 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men in their lifetime
I'll help you out on the stats - the claim comes from a council of europe study which no one seems able to verify, the headline figure of which has been picked up and used by a shower of cash-hunry NGOs. The adoption of it by the home Office was at the insistance of Fiona McTaggert - this is the same nut who says all prostitution is child abuse, and all men who visit prostitutes are rapists.But please, don't trust me - go find verification of that figure. I wait with antici......pation.(Various commenters disagree ..)
Right, those figures.
Go check it out - I've done this several times before, clearly people don't believe me, so I won't cut n paste, go look it up for yourself.
More women in that age group die of accidental drug overdoses than are murdered in TOTAL,let alone by their partners. Vastly more die in car accidents. HUGELY more die of cancer - malignant neoplasms of many kinds in that file.
Now, this is in the uk with our health service and a pretty healthy population - what do you think the comparable figures might be in Africa?
That "greatest cause of death" cobblers is a plain LIE.
It is not TRUE
It is demonstrably FALSE
I repeat, don't believe me - go look at the stats, download the excel file. Make a pie chart from it. Print it out and put it on a hat.Daft claim. Scratch your head, then ask yourself why the Home Office has such a bold and patently false claim on its website.