Sunday, October 16, 2005

October Song

I'll sing you this October song
For there is no song before it
The words and tune are none of my own
For my joys and sorrows bore it
Beside the sea, the brambly briar
In the still of evening
Birds fly out behind the sun
And with them I'll be leaving

The fallen leaves that jewel the ground
They know the art of dying
And leave with joy their glad gold hearts
In the scarlet shadows lying
When hunger calls my footsteps home
The morning follows after
I swim the seas within my mind
And the pine-trees laugh green laughter

I used to search for happiness
And I used to follow pleasure
But I found a door behind my mind
And that's the greatest treasure
For rulers like to lay down laws
And rebels like to break them
And the poor priests like to walk in chains
And God likes to forsake them

I met a man whose name was Time
And he said, I must be going
But just how long ago that was
I have no way of knowing
Sometimes I want to murder time
Sometimes when my heart's aching
But mostly I just stroll along
The path that he is taking




Words by Robin Williamson. I was rather fond of this song in 1972, and it's still pretty good now.

No comments: