Wednesday, August 04, 2004

A Day Out

My small daughter is named after the old Welsh county of Merioneth, and has been pestering me for some time to take her on a tour of the place. So on Saturday we took the back roads to Lake Vyrnwy, before crossing over to the top of the Bwlch-y-Groes (Pass of the Cross), a steep and spectacular road.

Looking down towards Llanymawddwy from the top of the Bwlch

We called in at Llanymawddwy Church, founded in the 6th century by St Tydecho.

Looking back up the valley from  Llanymawddwy Church

Went to the beach at Barmouth.

Can I have an ice cream ?

And finally went searching for gold, with the aid of a tourist map showing gold mines and large scale OS maps showing nothing. On a tiny mountain road we stopped a farmer.

"Excuse me - are there any old gold mines near here ?"

"About fifteen on this mountain. There's a company been formed to look at the whole area."

I thought he might be winding up a lost Englishman, but he spoke truth. So a happy daughter filled the sandwich box with stream gravel and the car with rocks. We're still crushing them. And I see we really shouldn't have.

There's gold all over the place in the UK - only not much of it.

Finally home - a journey on empty roads through as yet unspoiled mid-Wales. We stopped on a hillside as the sun went down, finished the sandwiches and I took this 360-degree panorama. Got home at eleven.

It took me all this evening and half the night to get the panorama software to work, but that's another story.

No comments: